Active Components of the Whole Body Cryotherapy
Whole body cryotherapy is based on neuroreflexive as well as neurohumoral processes and effects on central control functions that are induced by the strong, short-term cold stimulus that is applied over almost the entire body surface.
Only in this way can it be explained that it has clear therapeutic and stimulating effects not only in the area where it penetrates, but also at deeper-lying tissue that remains inaccessible even to a three-minute application of extreme cold.
Whole body cryotherapy is predominantly pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory. It also influences tensile state (neural activation), circulation and metabolism within the skeletal musculature. It has a regulating effect on a disrupted brain activity and exerts a performance-enhancing effect that with regards to cardiovascular function, energy budget and also muscular metabolism shall be explained in detail in a separate chapter of the book, i.e. whole body cold application in athletic sports.
- Pain relief, pain elimination
- Inflammation inhibition / immunomodulation
- Effect on skeletal musculature (regulation of tone, improvement in circulation and metabolism, modification of neural activation)
- Functional improvement of the joints
- Regulation of the central activity level, psycho-physical performance enhancement, improvement of well being
- Economisation in the cardiovascular system and the energy budget